Monday, April 30, 2007

Society

I know I said that most of my blogs woud be just drawings and what-not, but I just read a Digg article that has kind of gotten me a bit fired up. I am curious as to why women are threatened when they blog. I read this article on Digg but it came from the washingpost.com; it was about how female bloggers recieve anonymous threats on their pages just because they are speaking their minds or discussing things they either know about or things that are sometimes concidered male dominated fields. As a female and as a n00b to blogging, this article really alarmed me.

I understand that society sets these norms, like women are not suppose to be good at math and they are not suppose to be good with computers, much less know about software or know how to build a computer, but why are these norms in place? This is the 21st century, in order to make it in society women have to break down these barriers and prove themselves capable, even in the field of technology.

I am only in college, so I have not really experienced these biases, especially in the technology world. However, I do date a computer geek and through him, I have become knowledgable, probably more knowledgable than most. I mean, we built an arcade system together, I have moded my computer, and I can read two or three programming languages. And I know I am not the only one, many of my female friends are rather tech savy themselves.

I applaud women that go against the norm. I know there are still gender roles, and stereotypes we are expected to fit, but if that is not who you are, don't feel obligated to change yourself to fit an image. If you like to build computers, do it; if you like science, do it; don't be afraid to speak your mind and be yourself. Persue your interests. Over the years, women have made great strides despite threats, why stop now?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You go girl!

Unknown said...

Since you didn't post a link to the article in your blog, yet, here it is:

Sexual Threats Stifle Some Female Bloggers

Anonymous said...

I applaud you for being a strong young woman. I enjoyed reading your interesting comments.